Lilypie - Kids Birthday

Saturday, March 23, 2013

Looks like my sleep quota's exhausted!

Irrespective of whether you know the art of power nap or not, you will agree that atleast 6 hours of sleep at night remains non-negotiable. 6 hours! Damn! There was a time I needed 9 to 10 hours of sleep every night. I used to joke about it when people raised eyebrows - for all the energy I spent during the day, I had to have that 'recharge' time. 

So, very obviously, Sleep and I have shared a beautiful relationship since the longest I can remember. I could sleep anywhere, anytime, anyhow. I slept entire weekends with barely any wakeful time. Long, boring train journeys, bus rides, car rides, plane rides: I could and would sleep to my heart's content. 

Then 11/6 happened! 

It was like our relationship status went from 'happily married' to 'no longer see each other', overnight. They said at 6 weeks for sure I'd get atleast 3 hours of uninterrupted sleep. No luck. 
Then, I was the told, at 3 months, life would magically change overnight and we both (mommy and baby) would be sleeping for longer stretches. Haa! 

We are reaching the 5-month mark now, and 2 hours of continuous sleep happens only on days I am very lucky. The pediatrician gave me some gyaan on 'sleep regression' in 4-month olds - emphasizing it was "all normal". So, that's the thing with parenthood, all you end up with is truckloads of jargon for all the annoying stuff and a mutated meaning of 'normalcy'. 

The verdict?
They say, the half year mark will be the turning point. 
Only for Bollywood buffs: I feel like the Sunny Deol of Damini. "Tareeq par tareeq par tareeq milti rahi hai, par insaaf nahin mila." (Translated as: All that was given was one date after the other. But, justice was never given).
Sigh.



Ask me again, "Is it really that bad"? 
I swear it is! I have slept for 3 hours at a go on exactly two nights. No, don't even begin to tell me babies have phases that come and go. Ofcourse I know that. All that I want to know is in exactly which phase do I get to sleep?

And thus, my latest theory: God has allotted a fixed number of sleep hours to everyone. Something like the limited quantity of the chocolate ice cream in your refrigerator. You can have it all at one go or have a little and make it last for a very long time. Looks like, I have exhausted my sleep quota! How else do you explain other mommas getting to sleep 4-6 hours already?

Special note to all the parents-to-be: Use your sleep quota very wisely. Someone up there is keeping an account!

4 comments:

  1. Tell me about it Yuvika ..Most moms sleep when there babies sleeps during the day to over come the night tiredness of waking up every now and then. Unfortunately i don get to do that also.When my baby sleeps i run to work ..I merely sleep for 5-6 hrs but some how I have got use to of it now.Irony is now when Anvika has started sleeping peacefully for longer hours , I have lost interest in sleeping :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol, i totally understand your plight!

      Delete
  2. It will get better for sure!!! Once Manya starts semi-solids you will see a difference and then once she's completed weaned off you will see anthr big change!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aah, I am hoping! tho many insist it's just a myth :).

      Delete

Would love to hear what you've got to say!