Lilypie - Kids Birthday

Monday, April 7, 2014

17 reasons my 17-month-old has had meltdowns!

M has been showing us her fiery side more often than not. Her temper tantrums aside, we have lately had some tearful meltdowns for the silliest of reasons - I mean I have wanted to shake her and tell her that life is much more cruel and worse, and tears should be saved for that. (Yes, I try to remember that she is only 17 months old :(.) 

Here are some of the most inane crying episodes by our feisty lady in the last couple of weeks:
  • She pinched me so hard and I shouted, "Ouch, that hurts so bad!" That's it, she started howling, "hurt", "hurt", with spurious tears rolling down those cheeks. Apparently, I can't say I was hurt. Only she can get hurt. And so, even though I was hurting, I had to say sorry! WTF!
  • M plays a lot with her soft toys and walks them and pats them to sleep. Now, she has this big plastic ride on puppy toy that has wheels - she spent some 15 minutes trying to place it in a sleeping position but obviously couldn't - imagine putting a tricycle to sleep. After that she cried in frustration, shouting, "shleep, shleep", and looked at me with tears in her eyes, "peppe no shleep". Gosh, I wanted to tell her that's exactly how I feel when you don't go to sleep. 
  • At some random time during the day, she brings the phone to me and says, "call". I was like there's nobody to call - I don't want to talk to anybody. That was enough for a tantrum to happen. She burst into tears, "call, talk".  I spent the next 15 minutes talking on a phone with nobody on the other end while her highness kept on looking at me and smiling. Seriously, WTF.
  • The brat just needs an excuse for a crying session so that she can abandon her meals (read more about this in my post here). She wants me to feed her doll. And I always oblige. But the other day, she threw a fit because the doll was not eating. I had put some of her food on the doll's mouth, and she was crying at the doll - "eat, eat." (looks like she clearly understands the emotion I go through when she does not eat :P).
  • The dog that she came to look at, at the window, left without saying "bow bow" - so the next 10 minutes were spent crying "bow bow, bow bow"
  • She got up at 4 in the morning and shouted "bath bath". When I firmly said "no bath", we had a 15 minute crying session.
  • She cried when I was walking with her in my lap, patting her to sleep, because she was shouting "hug, hug" (more hug stories here). And I was shouting back, I am already hugging you, you silly goose".
  • Another tryst with her toys: she cried because "Polo" wouldn't "shit (sit)", only "shleep". The soft toy ( a baby polar bear) is made in such a way that it looks like it's on all fours - but she was trying to balance it on its non existent bum!
  • Her highness has a skewed fashion sense. She cried her heart out because I did not let her wear mismatched pair of shoes - on hindsight, I could have avoided this meltdown by just letting her wear it - big deal, no?
  • One more crying session because the heart shape wouldn't go through the triangle shape in her activity toy. I tried showing her the slot for the heart shape but no, she was going on trying to put it through the triangle slot (and crying and crying).
  • She also cried because I did not let her put her sippy cup upside down and spill the milk on the carpet.  
  • A violent crying session happened because Vish had closed the door on her as he was working from home and had to take a call.
  • We cry everyday because we don't want the bath time to end - ever because ducky or a leg or an arm would still be "dirty".
  • Another recurrent crying session is because mommy refuses to read the same story for the 159th time in the day.
  • And also because the mean mommy refuses to sing that stupid nursery rhyme for the 248th time in the day.
  • One big reason for an at-will meltdown is because the trash can is locked away before she can get her hands on it.
  • And finally, we end up crying, because we have been crying and because we have forgotten the real reason why we started crying - and so there is so much confusion, so we cry some more.

At this rate, I might just go bald pulling my hair in frustration, even before the terrible twos begin!

12 comments:

  1. U've just summed up everything.
    I mean...
    Cry: if u don't wana talk
    Cry: if u wish to talk to sum1 else n nt 'em
    Cry: if u dnt tk permission while going to d loo (especially) or for sum othr job
    Cry: if u skip a 'sorry' or 'thank you', wen xpctd
    Cry: if u praise another kid infrnt of 'em (datz a crime actually)
    Cry cry n cry...
    Am sure v were much 'SHAREEF".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol, yes monica i am sure we were better!

      Delete
  2. Couldn't stop laughing looking at the way you have written this blog :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAHAHAAHAHA!!! Oh yuvicha!!! I could totally imagine your face and expressions! This blog of yours made my day!! Sorry, for laughing at your misery! Let's not forget "Karma" but sweet heart M and you are so adorable :) Cant wait to meet her :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karma...aah yes! I wish we could all meet up sooner than later!

      Delete
  4. i cant find a "rofl" smiley :-) :- ) so here it is in written form:
    hahahahahhahahahahahhahahahahhhhahahahahahhahahahaah

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now I am wondering what will Manya do to you if she reads your bolgs in future :P:P:P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I am dead sure she is not going to be happy and we will have some more tantrums :D

      Delete
  6. I have to say m has a good vocabulary for her age. With mommy like you that is no surprise. .. loved your blog every bit... :) here is to terrible teos and more tantrums

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers to the Twos :)
      Yes, M has a fairly decent vocab for her age and I wish I could take all credit but it is also because of the fact that she is exposed to only one language - since english is the only common one between Vish and me - we are hoping we will get her to speak hindi and tamil too in the coming years but as of now it's only english everywhere and so she picks up fast.

      Delete

Would love to hear what you've got to say!