Lilypie - Kids Birthday

Sunday, March 1, 2015

Pierced!

My stand on ear piercing for M had been that I would not get it done till she really wanted it. My reason was simple - why go through the unnecessary pricking and poking, as if babies don't cry enough already. 

I know people say that ears are much more tender in the earlier years (earlier months is more most insist) and all that but c'mon, they don't become thick bricks ever - I remember having my ears pierced when I was 10 years old, and I didn't go through any carnage exactly! I wanted them, was prepared for the pain, and it worked out well - this is exactly how I had it planned out for M - Except that I keep forgetting, no plans work with M!

For the past many months now M had been asking about getting earrings. I had been telling her very matter-of-factly that it would hurt just as it does when she goes for her shots, and some after care would be required, and if she was prepared for that, we could get it done anytime! If I remember correctly, starting at 18 months itself, she had begun the insistence, she'd say,"I want earring - it will hurt a little - just like shots, and then all pretty". All this while, I was dilly dallying - I thought she was too young and should be left carefree really (or rather I shouldn't have an extra thing to care for :p); then was the India trip - I didn't want to do anything drastic on a holiday; then I also thought how much does she really understand and blah blah - finally it all came to a point that it seemed like my excuses were just that - and she "really" wanted earrings. 

So while strolling on the strip mall nearby, I saw Claire's, and very casually remarked to M that this is where we would come if she wanted earrings, and she suddenly jumped up and said, "I want earrings now." I asked her atleast 10 times before entering the store and atleast a 20 after - but she seemed to know what she wanted. And before we knew what was happening, her highness was perched on daddy's lap and earrings shot into her ears. She cried for all but 2 mins, and I had little sympathy to offer - She asked for it, didn't she! 

Anyways, she was happy with all the attention, and her shiny white gold studs, and she got a toy too! Off and on, she has been saying, can I remove it, it is paining a little, does it look pretty - I think she is just getting used to the newness of it - so hopefully nothing that really bothers her.

As for me, I am just left sighing to myself - she is growing a little each day, which is adding upto a lot - she is all but 2 and can convince me to get her ears pierced - something for which I was ready to wait atleast a couple of years more (hell, no way had I thought she'd want earrings before 5 or 6, atleast) - but looks like she has a mind and a plan of her own - we'll have to just tag along!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear what you've got to say!