Lilypie - Kids Birthday

Wednesday, September 7, 2016

First day of Preschool!

So we finally started preschool today. Many people think I waited too long but I think the time was just right. I was confident about letting go...and Manya was confident about letting go too (To be honest she has been school ready for a while but I always like to be double sure.)

The day went by exactly as I had planned down to the minute - Yes, I am a paranoid Type A mostly. Everybody was cheerful and all set - prepped enough, M knew what would be expected of her. She gave a very characteristic and matter of factly, "bye mom, I am going to be very busy now" practical farewell and was off.

We chose her school very carefully - not too long - just under 3 hours so that she has the time and energy for other activities. It is 5 days a week - thank god - not only because it gives me time off - but also because it is much easier to set a routine, It is one of the first Leadership based schools - established on the Leader in Me principles. I was sold when the Owner/Director of the school told me that they are not in the business of making great kindergartners or first graders but thinking, feeling individuals. So no worksheets, homework - very play and experience based. The focus is on practical learning rather than rote memorizing arbit letters, numbers or concepts. We are really hoping the school follows what it stands for in theory and I am sure then M will really blossom in the two years we plan she spends here.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear what you've got to say!